While subdivision can be profitable for many landowners, you need to meet Council requirements to be able to do so. Depending on the type of land subdivision proposed, there will be several different types of surveying and planning services involved. A Development Application (DA) needs to be lodged with the local Council for most types of subdivision.

The process

Feasibility assessment

Before committing large amounts of money into a potential subdivision, assess the feasibility. A Feasibility Assessment identifies opportunities and constraints of a potential development site and can assist by providing information relating to lot size and zoning, sewer and stormwater drainage and existing easements, covenants or restrictions on the land.

Prepare a DA for Council lodgement.

A land Surveyor will need to prepare a Detail Survey (also known as a Contour Survey or Topographic Survey) of your property showing the features and structures (buildings, driveways, walls, trees, creeks etc.) on the land (and possibly the neighbouring land as well). This plan will be used to determine the best possible lot layout to maximise the development potential of the site.

Proposed Subdivision Plan

This shows the proposed location of boundaries, roads, access ways, easements, buildings etc.

A Statement of Environmental Effects (SEE)

A SEE must accompany the DA and is a report that outlines the planning objectives and legislative controls of the Council and identifies how the proposal complies with these controls. Depending on the site and adjoining areas, other supporting documents such as a Bushfire Report, Flora and Fauna Report or Arborist Report may be required.


Following Council approval the landowner or developer needs to carry out a number of consent conditions prior to Council endorsing the final subdivision.

The provision of services (electricity, water, telephone, sewer, stormwater etc.) to each of the lots within the subdivision will be a requirement and this may involve the construction of an internal driveway or public road (for larger subdivisions). Council contributions (known as Section 94 contributions) will apply for each additional lot that is to be created as part of the subdivision (these may be up to $20,000 per additional lot created). A Registered Surveyor must prepare a Plan of Subdivision for lodgement and registration at the NSW Land Registry Services (LRS). Upon registration of this plan the new lots will be created and new Titles for each lot issued.

Due to the variable nature of sites there may be other issues to be considered prior to subdivision of your land.

Thinking of subdividing your block or would like to know the subdivision potential of a site?
Complete our short enquiry form for a free quote.